About The REEF Committee
What the REEF Committee process is about
What the REEF committee process is about
- Hurricane Dorian and Covid-19 have overturned assumptions about Freeport’s economy. To prosper and grow in the future, we need to change the way we think today.
- The REEF Committee is an initiative created by the GBPA to engage with its licensees, the wider Freeport community and anyone else who has an interest in Freeport’s success.
- The REEF Committee’s intent is to produce an ACTION PLAN that includes immediate short-term steps to make it easier for businesses to recover and grow NOW, and larger-scale, longer-term projects aimed at transforming Freeport.
- The key objectives are to:
- Create new business and employment opportunities for Freeport’s residents to thrive;
- Protect Freeport city against storm surges and possible future sea-level rise;
- Reduce our over-dependence on tourism, by growing other industry sectors (but not neglecting tourism in the process.)
- The REEF Committee is intended to supplement and support the work of the Government’s Economic Recovery Committee in Freeport or, more specifically, in the Port Area as defined in the Hawksbill Creek Agreement (HCA). This is because the HCA makes certain things possible through the GBPA, in the Port Area, that might be more difficult elsewhere in The Bahamas.
- More information on topics addressed in this summary can be found by clicking here. Please download them, study them, and let us have your thoughts.
How the process will proceed in the coming months
The most important solutions proposed by the REEF Committee (1 - 6 months)
The most important solutions proposed by the REEF Committee (6 - 36 months)
The most important solutions proposed by the REEF Committee (6 - 36 months cont'd)
Branding the 'New Freeport'
How you can help
The Revitalization and Economic Expansion of Freeport (REEF) Committee is comprised of a cross-section of leaders representing a wide spectrum of Freeport’s businesses. The following are REEF’s inaugural members:
- Sarah St. George
- Ian Rolle
- Deann Seymour
- Henry St. George
- Rupert Hayward
- Willie Moss
- Fred Smith QC
- Robert Adams (Committee Lead)
- Giora Israel
- Godfrey Smith
- Pietro Stefanutti
- Dave McGregor
- Dave Skentlebery
- Keith Davies
- Ellie Hepburn
- Greg Ebelhar
- Sandy Sawyer
- Erika Gates
- Jeremy Cafferata
- Sean Basden
- Darren Cooper
- Derek Newbold
- Philcher Grant
- James Sarles
- Claudette Porter